Thursday, January 21, 2010

I really am a pirate, I swear

I really hate it when I do this. Last night I was laying here on my bed reading through some agent's blog and I fell asleep....not because it was boring. I was just really tired since I only got 4 hours of sleep the night before. Anyway, it was only about 7pm so of course I woke up around 11pm and was wide awake. And now it's 6am and I'm STILL awake.

What have I been doing all night? Oh, you know, the usual. Sitting here for hours and hours on end compiling my list of agents to send queries to. It's entirely possible that I'm OVERLY organized sometimes. I've seriously spent the last 2 days just going through agency websites. I went to AgentQuery , of course. And if you haven't been there, you should go. It's a great site because you can look for agents who handle your specific genre.

So I wrote all of the agencies and websites down the day before yesterday. Last night I sat here and went to each and every website, went through their submission policies, read about each agent, and wrote it all in my notebook. I designated a page for each agency so I can make notes on when I send them queries and if/when I hear from them. I have 46 agencies to send to, which is a lot better than I originally thought but still not enough to make me feel confident that I'll find somebody.

My brain kind of feels full of this stuff right now. But I'm determined to focus on this part of the publishing process before I get started on another book.

Also, I'm a pirate. No, really, I am. Our cable and internet got shut off yesterday. Do you think that every author goes through this before they find an agent? I need to go find a job, but I know once I do that, I won't have as much time to devote to writing, and I don't like that idea. So, anyway, my bill wasn't that late. Only a week or so. But apparently Comcast hates me, which of course means that they don't know me. Cuz dammit, everyone who knows me likes me! (Just let me believe this, ok?) But, you know, it's just cable and I can live for a week or two without that, and luckily for me, I have some neighbors who haven't figured out that they should make their wireless accounts secure.

So I'm a pirate. Not a very good one, unfortunately. The signal is so low and crappy that my connection is sketchy at best. Ah well. It's better than no connection, right?

Some day......hmmm......some day I'll have my full-time desk job that brings in the bucks and doesn't suck too badly, and I'll have my agent and book deals to fulfill my creative side. And I won't HAVE to be a pirate. But, you know, just for those other struggling authors out there, I'll keep my wireless connection unsecured.

I'm all about encouraging pirates.

No comments:

Post a Comment